Monday 1 July 2013

J&D Espresso @ Oasis Bandar Utama, PJ

My, oh my..
Hasn't it been a rainy day?
Gloomy skies led to kids' dismay,
for they were all dressed up, ready to go out and play.

...Aaanndddd, my brain has reached its poetic limit. 

**********
Good day, mate! 
I was craving for charsiew from Famous Seremban Favourites Restaurant @ Aman Suria. HOW DID I END UP AT J&D INSTEAD?! I'll tell you how it happened. As we were driving to Bandar Utama for lunch, BAAMM!! It rained. And it rained heavily, alright. If I was still in Australia, they would've termed this as "severe thunderstorm". haha

Anyway, as Aman Suria is always packed with cars and auto repair shops are found at almost every corner, we would probably need to double park somewhere further and walk under the rain. So kids, that's how I met your mother (inside joke to himym fans...) we took a rain check & detoured to J&D Espresso! BT-dubs, there's ample parking space around this area! *Plus points*



Lo and behold, J&D Espresso @ Oasis, Bandar Utama.

Monkeys, monkeys everywhere. 

"J&D Espresso started off in August 2012 by 2 young entrepreneurs who wanted to bring back what they had learned in Sydney, Australia to their home country in Malaysia..." -J&D Info
I'm assuming that this cafe is Australian-themed/inspired? Which leads me to my next mind-bottling question. Why are there monkeys plastered all over the walls in the restaurant instead of cute, cuddly koalas? Anyway, that's not important.. I came here to dine, not to whine. 


Menu taken from J&D's facebook page

J&D's set of choices solely comprise of 2 pages. Although it doesn't give you a wide array of selections to choose from, I can assure you that everything on the menu seems delectable! 

Spaghetti Carbonara (RM19+)

Hello there, precious. What else would a sucker-for-carbonara choose to order when dining in a restaurant for the first time? You guessed it pal, carbonaraaa. Did I like it? Hmm, the portion was really small. Suitable for individuals with petite appetite. Contrary to the believe that food served in smaller portions taste better, this tiny plate of pasta only tasted o-k-a-y. As most of you would've already known by now, I like creeaaammmy cheeeeesy pastas. This one tasted a lot more like aglionara. (aglio olio + carbonara). The dish was a tad oily and it lacked any sign of creaminess. As the grass is always greener on the other side, one who prefers their spaghetti to be less creamy (like totally leaving the cream out of the picture) would've loved this dish. 

Hot & Sour Glass Noodle (RM18+)

The only asian selection served in J&D Cafe. I thought it was simple, pleasant and nice. Served with a slice of lime & a saucer full of spicy chili padi (drools) on its side, this hearty bowl of glass noodles would've been one of the healthiest dish if you shut a blind eye on its deep fried lard. Having said that, the soup wasn't oily despite the presence of 'zhu yao cha' (pork lard). Like a cherry on top of the cream, the Hot & Sour Glass Noodle was topped off with 2 seared scallops. I didn't taste the scallops so I can't comment on it. Though from the looks of it, it seemed a little charred. The most important thing about soupy noodle is its broth, right? As for this asian dish, I find that it lacked a little bit of kick. Not that I'm complaining, the lime really does help to give an extra 'oomph' so it's all good. Plus, they served chili padi!!! *smiles whilst my tongue catches on fire* 


Eggs Atlantic (RM19+)

Eggs Atlantic consists of a piece of toast (which was a little soggy), topped with smoked salmon, spinach, 2 poached eggs, thin slices of avocados & hollandaise sauce.

As I was almost done with this serving, I thought they forgot to include the hollandaise sauce!! After referring to my picture, I reassured myself that the sauce was Definitely there. It simply missed its 'je na sais quoi'.  Pity. The salmon was kind of salty in my opinion, but it goes well with the other elements on the plate. (You can never go wrong with salmon, bread & eggs + avocados!) The poached eggs does look really appealing doesn't it? Taste wise, it was just a TINY BIT watery. Still edible. Honestly, I haven't tried all these fancy breakfast spots in Malaysia (e.g. Red Bean Bag, Antipodean) because I've already tasted one of the best in Melbourne (Hello, Mart 130!!!). The standard is just different. It's not that Malaysia serves bad western-y breakfasts, it's just not there yet. Anyhoos, please don't allow my words to discourage you because after all, it's just an individual's opinion. You can still give it a go! I'll probably try J&D's baked eggs next time :)

Time to wrap this up, J&D Cafe is a nice place to play catch up with friends. It provides a nice, chilling ambience where one can bring his/her laptop for assignment or work. I hear that J&D's coffee is their specialty. For coffee lovers out there, you know where to go. Will definitely revisit this place since mi casa is pretty near to Oasis!

G.B06, Oasis BU11
Lebuh Bandar Utama, PJU 6
47800 Petaling Jaya
Facebook page: J&D Espresso
Opening hours: Errday, everyday! [ 8am - 10pm ]

Au revoir,
Jx


4 comments:

  1. Do you go back for second time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, hehe. Wanted to but recently found out that it closes at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just another lousy, expensive food outlet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lee, I figured they changed their management. Had lunch there a week ago and the food was not up to standard at all. Told myself that it was going to be my last time eating there!

    ReplyDelete