Thursday 11 July 2013

Selera Jaya 223 @ PJ

Selamat pagi semua! (Good morning to all)

Today, let's go back to basics to remind ourselves the reason we're called 'Anak Malaysia'.  
Without further ado, allow me to introduce you to Malaysia's national dish,.. Nasi Lemak

What exactly is 'nasi lemak'? If this word is directly translated from Malay to English, nasi lemak would mean 'fatty rice'. Fatty in the sense of rich or creamy. 
Technically, the rice is cooked in santan a.k.a. coconut milk & pandan leaf a.k.a. screwpine plant which allows the rice to be fragrant and "fat". 
Traditionally, nasi lemak is served with cucumber slices, roasted peanuts, small fried anchovies, hard boiled egg and not forgetting the most important element, SAMBAL (spicy sauce)! 

Okay, enough with the history talk. 
Let's grab ourselves summa dat fatty food @ Selera Jaya 223! 


Selera Jaya 223 

Yeah, it's really packed at night. (btw, this is 10 p.m.) We 'tapao-ed' our supper so I didn't manage to snap any pictures of the food court's interior. There are many other stalls selling different varieties of food such as fried rice, noodles and mutton soup.
Note: Some might find this place a little dodgy so try not to flaunt any branded items to attract unnecessary attention. I like to come here when I'm all sweaty & disgusting-looking ;)


VOILA! Back at home with our goodies.

6 packets of nasi lemak, 5 sticks of otak-otak. 
GUESS HOW MUCH THESE COST? RM12! That's like 4USD for 6 packets & 5 sticks! Probably enough to feed 2 hungry men or 3 hungry women or 1 hungry American :) 

1 packet = RM1.50 whereas you can purchase 5 sticks of otak-otak for RM3.00. 
We bought 3 packets each of red labeled & blue labeled fatty rice. Red & blue are sold from different owners hence, different taste. 


Yatie's Nasi Lemak (red label)


Suri's Nasi Lemak (blue label)


THIS. IS. THE. SHIZZNIT!

Okay, I only took one nasi lemak picture so this is how it looks like inside the banana leaf :) 
Are you salivating yet? 'cause I am currently lau nua-ing!

A packet of fatty rice mixed with peanuts, anchovies, egg & sambal. Such a beauty. 
Before you say that this meal looks unappetizing, I would like you to close your eyes and try it. Just trust me,.. close your eyes and EAT IT. You'd want 2 more packets when you're done with the first spoon. 

Verdict time. 

Red- Yati's version is my favourite. She knows me well. The sambal is SPICY and I LOVE SPICY FOOD. However, there weren't any traces of cucumbers in it. The rice wasn't as fragrant as one would imagine but the sambal won me over anyways. Last night's sambal was sweeter than usual too, weird in a good way as the sweetness is supposed to be Suri's trait. 

Blue- For those who can't challenge the heat, I recommend Suri's fatty rice. The sambal is supposed to be sweeter (but for some reason it was a tad salty last night.. I really do not want to know the reason) and the gravy is wetter. Similar to Yati's, Suri's nasi lemak lacked the aromatic fragrance and cucumbers as well. 


Otak-otak


Traditionally wrapped in banana leaf as well, otak-otak is supposed to be a 'cake' made of fish meat & spices. 
One might beg to differ, but this isn't my favourite version of otak-otak. It tasted so processed :( AND WHY IS IT SO RED? As red as a male dog's thingy. YERRRRR.

Anyway, my hubby & many other friends are able to bag 5 pieces of these red sticks into their stomachs without any hesitation but I. Just. Can't. Do. It. 
Since I know many others who're able to enjoy the otak-otak without any complains, you should give it a try. If you don't like it either, we must be long lost twins, triplets, quadruplets etc.

Be sure to give our national dish a go whenever you're visiting Malaysia. To all locals who are currently overseas, fatty rice will always be here waiting for you.

Selera Jaya 223
Jalan 223
Petaling Jaya, Selangor
Waze the place if you're not too sure of its location!

Anak Malaysia,
Jx

1 comment:

  1. HELLO VIEWERS

    GET OUT OF FINANCIAL MESS WITH THE HELP OF drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    I have been in financial mess for the past months, I’m a single mum with kids to look after. My name is REBECCA MICHAELSON, and am from Ridley Park, Pennsylvania. A couple of weeks ago My friend visited me and along our discussion she told me about DR BENJAMIN OWEN FINANCE of drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com that he can help me out of my financial situation, I never believed cause I have spend so much money on different loan lenders who did nothing other than running away with my money. She advised, I gave it a try because she and some of her colleagues were rescued too by this Godsent lender with loans to revive their dying businesses and paying off bills. so I mailed him and explain all about my financial situation and therefore took me through the loan process which was very brief and easy. After that my loan application worth $278,000.00USD was granted, all i did was to follow the processing and be cooperative and today I am a proud business owner sharing the testimony of God-sent Lender. You can as well reach him through the Company Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    THANK YOU VERY MUCH

    ReplyDelete