Wednesday 13 November 2013

A Trip to the Dentist

When's Your last visit to the dentist?
...Mine was 2 years ago. 

I know, I know. Before you give me any disapproving looks, yes... we're supposed to get our teeth cleaned & checked every 6 months. Honestly, who does that? HAHA..Please tell me I'm not the only procrastinator around here O_O

How did I end up at the dental clinic anyway?
Just a couple of days ago, a portion of my lower gums felt uneasy. So I decided to wait it out and monitor my gums for a day or two before seeking le dentist. *Days passed* ..Sad to say that my condition didn't improve la right?! Or I wouldn't be sitting here writing this post in the first place.

Funny how I seem to always delay the process of curing whatever problems I have until the very last minute before it reaches an alarming stage. Seriously, what's my problem? Let's take for example, I almost! *note: almost had abscess milk duct due to the blocked ducts in my boobs last month. FYI, when a woman has abscess milk duct, she needs to undergo surgery, OK!? Not a laughing matter. Will totes blog about that horrible horrible experience next time. Shit, life isn't easy.

Where was I? Oh right, gum problem. 
I went to the dentist today. Costed me a mini bomb (RM225) on top of my other commitments that I already have. *blows dust out of empty wallet* T_T

OK. RIGHT. DENTIST. NOBODY LIKES GOING TO THE DENTIST. Unless you're there to remove your braces, heh. 

// My dental experience after 2 long years //
There I am, sitting on a dental throne with my mouth agape (not glam at all) while lady dentist checked my gums.
..Turns out I have 'serious gum problems'. Omo, what does that even mean? *heart sinked*
She said my gums aren't healthy and experienced inflammation due to the accumulated tartar. Probably a result of inadequate brushing & not visiting the dentist often. 

**HAHA on a side note,.. I just realized that tartar on gums and tartar sauce have the same spelling. How ironic. Ew. 

Since my gums aren't healthy and bla bla inflammation, it started receding. AND SOMEONE MY AGE ISN'T SUPPOSED TO HAVE RECEDING GUMS! Eff Efff Efffff!!! It's like saying to a 22 year old's face that he has receding hair line. Oh, the venom! *ouch
---------------------------------------
So I got this off the internet to what causes receding gums:

Hormonal changes. Fluctuations in female hormone levels during a woman's lifetime, such as in pubertypregnancy, and menopause, can make gums more sensitive and more vulnerable to gum recession.
Tobacco products. Tobacco users are more likely to have sticky plaque on their teeth that is difficult to remove, which can cause gum recession.
Grinding and clenching your teeth. Clenching or grinding your teeth can put too much force on the teeth, causing gums to recede.
Crooked teeth or a misaligned bite. When teeth do not come together evenly, too much force can be placed on the gums and bone, allowing gums to recede.
Body piercing of the lip or tongue. Jewelry can rub the gums and irritate them to the point that gum tissue is worn away.
----------------------------------------
Okay, seems fair. I did experience a major hormonal change & still have a misaligned bite. Not sure if I grind or clench my teeth tho'.  
Anyhoo, what's done is done. Gums can't grow back to where it formally was and now I'm stuck with a receding one. Oh well. The only thing that can be done by the lady dentist was  major scaling on my less-than-perfect set of teeth. Was it painful? Nahhh, I tend to shift my attention onto something else (not the dental apparatus) in hopes that fairies will take me to their wonderland and away from the torture chamber. It works. However, I had to open my mouth so big to the extend that the sides of my lips were going to split. It was uncomfortable. Also, I didn't put any moisturiser on my face so imagine having your mouth wide open with super dry skin as an extra touch. Not the best combo. 
Now, my teeth is clean again. Will definitely not neglect my next visit to the dentist 6 months from today. I can already foresee that one or two of my lower teeth might go missing when I'm older if my gums continue receding. Guess I've got to start setting aside some money for fake tooth implantation in the future. *labels jar & tosses in some coins* 
Whoa, such a wordy blog. 
Sorry, I doubt you'd want me to post a picture of my teeth or gums, right? Don't so disgusting ah. 
bbye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment