Tuesday 26 November 2013

Labour Pains Part I

Hello hello! 

Before I grow old and forget what labour pain was like,….*pause*.. hmm, hold that thought. Actually, it all seems pretty vague now. HAHA

..But anyway! I'll squeeze my brain to gather whatever #throwback I can possibly recall as a future reference to you women out there and also, to remind myself why I never want to be pregnant ever again. (For now la, not never. I'm sure Jaden would love to have a younger sibling.. *crosses fingers for a baby girl*)

Okay. 
When I first gave birth to Jaden, the common questions that followed suit were, "Pain ah?"....."Natural, Epidural or Caesarean?" .…"How does it feel like?"
As my wound was in the process of healing, I often shudder when it was time for story-telling. 
Why? Because everything experienced was still RAW and FRESH IN MY MEMORY. As long as your wound hasn't completely healed, you would probably shudder every single time you try to recall what happened that night too.  

*Note: The story that you are about to read contains explicit details (draggy, at the very least). Also, every woman has her own tale so go ahead and bombard your mother, aunties, colleagues & friends

Honestly, I want to scream profanities when it comes to certain parts of the story but hold back, I will. #yoda

So anyway, Jaden's expected due date was 27th of September. 
He was born on the 26th of August @ SDMC Hospital, Subang. 

It was a Monday. 
Woke up in the morning, there was some bloody discharge from my Vajajay (*vagina), which could easily pass off as period blood. I'll have you know that a pregnant woman is not supposed to have her period until after she delivers. You can only imagine how I feel when I saw patches of blood on my stained knickers. Effin' Heart attack. 

Anyway, hubby brought me to the doctor for a check up. Doc measured my Vajajay after I told him about the incident.

Doc: Your cervix has been dilated by 3 - 4 cm. That's the first phase of dilation. You can deliver anytime. You can even deliver today if you want to. However, you're only 36 weeks. It would be best if you are able to deliver next week. Do you feel any contractions at the moment?

Me: *eyes wide opened* Wait, what? Deliver anytime? Meaning? Uh,.. how does contractions feel like? I had stomach ache and lau sai 3 times in the morning but I highly doubt that was contraction. HAHA. I don't feel any pain now.

Doc: That could be a sign of contraction. Usually, the hardest phase is the first phase whereby the cervix opens 3 - 4 cm. Some women struggle to even reach the first phase and need drips for dilation. In your case, you aren't even aware that it has been dilated and it is actually a good thing. I'll write you a medical leave. In the mean time, try not to move about so much and just rest at home. I'll see you again on Wednesday for another check up. 

Me: Am I still going to bleed?

Doc: I've cleaned the blood from your cervix so there shouldn't be anymore bleeding. Perhaps just a bit of spotting. 

After that, I wanted to go home and rest la, right? But noo, Collin wanted to eat dim sum at DJ.
So we went. I wasn't hungry but ate one egg tart anyways (YUMS). Halfway through my tart, I had stomach ache & lau sai AGAIN. Like, what was wrong with me? No idea.

When I reached home, it was probably noon-ish. Mum was super shocked when she heard that my cervix was already dilated 3 - 4 cm and she said I needed to go to the hospital. Pronto!
Was getting ready, packing all necessities when I had stomach ache AGAIN. Lau sai AGAIN.
All in all I lau sai 5 times la minimum. FML.

Still, I didn't feel any contraction.

Collin went to work after dim sum whereas my plan was to stay home and not move kind-of-thing.
But as I went to the toilet, I still had bloody discharge! DOC WAS WRONG. WHO CAN I TRUST NOW? So finally, I gave in and told my mum that I wanted to go to the hospital. Collin came home and we left for Subang at about 5 in the evening. No jam, thankfully.

Anyhoos, arrived at SDMC. Went to the receptionist and told her about my bloody condition and that I was 3 - 4 cm dilated. She asked if I was in pain, I said no. She continued to process the paperwork. I sat there blankly, totally clueless on what lies ahead of me.

Receptionist lady: You will be admitted to the delivery ward. Only your husband can go in with you.

Me: Uh huh, so does that mean I am delivering like.. now? Today? You mean I won't be placed in a normal hospital ward? I don't have any contraction wor.

Seems like that was the plan. Shortly after, a man walked over with a wheelchair and before I know it, I was wheeled into the lift and on to the delivery floor. It was weird, sitting on a wheelchair. I wasn't feeling any pain or contractions anyway. After that I walked into a delivery ward and changed into a patient-outfit. *those hospital gowns where your bare ass peaks and says hi to everyone behind you*

Nurse checked my cervix and OMG it was already 5 cm dilated (BY THE WAY, once the cervix dilates to approx 10 cm, the baby is ready to come out). I said I had my period and she said it wasn't period and that it was actually.. lochia. <--- Totally googled that up because I forgotten the actual word. HAHA

Still, no pain. No nothing. 

After that, I just lay there. On the hospital bed. She fixed some sort of fancy apparatus on my big round belly to monitor my contractions. She was looking at the contraction reading-thingy on the printed paper (similar looking to those fancy equipments that records earthquake reading) and told me that I was having my contractions and asked if I felt it. Nope, no pain. *For a brief moment I thought that my delivery process was going to be easy peasy as there weren't any signs of pain and that I would just sneeze and the baby would pop right out and land on the doctor's welcoming arms.
 BOY, WAS I WRONG ABOUT THAT.

My doctor came at about 9pm dressed in slacks and a casual polo shirt. He then proceeded to cut my water bag. *Collin missed the water bag cutting part cause he went down to pass a set of keys to my family. HAHA he's still holding a grudge about that. Guess he really wanted to see my water bag break. HAHAHA*
Anyway, the doc said the walls of my 'water bag' was really thick. I'm guessing that's why it didn't break in the first place. After he managed to cut it, WHOOOOOOOSHHHHHH, felt like pee but it wasn't la duh. HAHA. I was still on the bed when the doc cut it so wtf almost the entire lower part of the bed was wet. Can you say yuck?

He said that I was about 6 cm dilated and that he expected me to deliver after midnight (27th August).  Logic behind this is, women's cervix generally dilates 1 cm every hour so 9pm + 4 hours = past midnight. Simple theory. He then bid his goodbyes and sauntered off the delivery room. I've never seen a happier and a more relaxed-looking doctor.

SO I LAY THERE. AND NOW I CAN FEEL THE CONTRACTIONS COMING. FML.

Okay, continue next time.
HEHE. suspense.

Bye bye.
-Jaden's officially 3 months old today. HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY.


No comments:

Post a Comment